“I am a graduate of the 2001 Leadership Academy, and I continue to derive value and benefits from my involvement. The relationships with the community leaders who were my classmates have continued and have helped me tremendously in my role as the Assistant Vice President of Community Development for Waubonsee Community College. Some of those class mates have become friends. Moreover, it created my lasting commitment to the Chamber and its mission, which lead to my recent leadership role as the Board Chair for 2009 – 10. I highly recommend this professional and personal development experience for all current and future leaders of our Aurora Region.” – Dr. Bill Marzano, Waubonsee Community College
It’s here! The Aurora Regional Chamber Leadership Academy is open for registration! Now is the time to think about key members of your team that you think would benefit from this developmental series which prepares candidates for future leadership roles in the Aurora area. The first class session of this intensive eleven week course will be on February 2nd. Following are just some of the topics that will be covered:
Week #1- 2/2/2011
- Welcome, program orientation, Chamber Apprentice Challenge # project overview.
- Servant Leadership presented by Aurora University
Week #2 – 2/9/2011
- Community Based Organizations: Their impact on the community at Large. This week will highlight a mini expo featuring community based organizations that will give representatives an opportunity to share with the group their goals and best practices.
Week #3 – 2/16/11
- Backstage Tour of Paramount & Paramount History
- Tourism Presentation – The countless ways to “Enjoy Aurora”
2/22/11 – City Council Meeting – Council Chamber 6pm
Week # 4- 2/23/11
- Responsibilities and Rewards of Serving on a Board, presented by Waubonsee Community College
Week # 5- 3/2/11
- Defining Leadership Style, presented by Illinois Math and Science Academy
Week # 6- 3/9/11
- Interactive class workshop: “Passion, why does it matter?”
Week # 7- 3/16/11
- Pictorial History Tour of Aurora – Aurora Fire Museum
Week # 8- 3/23/11
- Meeting with Aurora Elected Officials and key city staff. Tour of City Hall.
Week # 9- 3/30/11
- Tour of new Aurora Police Department and Court Complex
Week #10 – 4/6/11
- Manufacturing Tour and meeting with team leadership
Week #11- 4/13/11
- Chamber Apprentice Challenge Project evals and preparation for Board of Directors Presentations
The majority of the class sessions will be here at the chamber offices. However, there will be many opportunities for our students to go beyond the books and into the boardrooms as they visit locations around the city as a group to see just what makes our city move. The Academy Students will be challenged and inspired as they learn from some of the brightest minds and strongest leaders in the area. They will also have the unique opportunity to develop real-world initiatives which will have a lasting effect on the community as part of our new “Chamber Apprentice Challenge”.
For more information on additional program details, student registration, or possible sponsorship support, please contact Cristina Mancini via phone at (630) 256-3182 or via email at Cmancini@aurorachamber.com