The Aurora Fire Department has launched its new Fire Cadet Program and is recruiting young adults who are interested in pursuing a future career with the fire department.
The Aurora Fire Cadet Program is a unique opportunity that provides paid employment and hands-on experience with the Aurora Fire Department while exploring firefighting and paramedic careers.
“The Aurora Fire Department strives to build a team that is reflective of our community,” said Aurora Fire Chief Gary Krienitz. “Through the Aurora Fire Cadet Program we will have the opportunity to strengthen the diversity of the department while bringing in the new ideas and perspectives of the next generation of Aurora firefighters.”
Working 20 to 30 hours per week, fire cadets are official Aurora Fire Department employees who assist in the day-to-day operations of the department while attending paramedic school and completing EMT basic training courses.
Upon completing a minimum of two years of service in the program – and the successful completion of the paramedic program – fire cadets will earn preference points that can be applied to their score on the Aurora Fire Department firefighter eligibility list.
Applicants to the Aurora Fire Cadet Program must:
- Be between the ages of 17 and 19, and at least 18 at time of hire
- Have a high school diploma, GED or a senior in high school at time of hire
- Have a minimum of a 2.5 GPA on a 4.0 scale
- Possess a valid driver’s license with the ability to earn a Class B driver’s license
- Pass a polygraph, psychological exam, background check and interview
- Be eligible to work in the U.S. at the time of hire
To apply, visit https://il-aurora.civicplushrms.com/careers/ or contact the City of Aurora Human Resources Department at 630-256-3430.
Deadline to apply is Friday, May 5, 2017.